Media Literacy & Questioning What We Consume // with Alicia Haywood
Alicia Haywood, Executive Director of iSpeakMedia, chats with host Carmelita Tiu and unpacks what media literacy is and explains how we can build media literate kids (it’s easier, in some ways, than you think)!
- Questions to ask
- A playful way to invite dialogue about media literacy
- How simply modeling can help ensure your child becomes media literate
To learn more about Alicia Haywood and the ISpeakMedia Foundation, visit www.ispeakmedia.org, follow @ispeakmediafoundation on Instagram, and follow @ispeakmedia on Twitter. You can also find Alicia on LinkedIn here.
In this episode – references and additional resources:
Previous episodes of Know Them, Be Them, Raise Them:
- Understanding Body Positivity and Fat Phobia // with Emily Lauren Dick (Ep. 24)
- Confident and Grounded Daughters in a Social Media World // with Charlsey Childers (Ep. 10)
- Self-love and Second Guessing Society’s Definitions of Success // with Lacey C. Clark! (Ep. 22)
Books and links:
- Can’t Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel, by Jean Kilbourne, Ed.D
- So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids, by Diane E. Levin, Ph.D and Jean Kilbourn, Ed.D
- Digital Wellness Lab
- Common Sense Media’s 5 Questions Students Should Ask About Media
Note: Podcast guests make independent suggestions. Some of these are affiliate links; if you use them to make a purchase, Amazon pays me a small commission for the sale - at no extra cost to you. If you use these links I really appreciate the support!
Know Them, Be Them, Raise Them
New episodes drop every Tuesday (and sometimes in between). Subscribe here: Apple, Spotify, Google.
And leave a 5-star review – you’ll forever have good karma and my gratitude!
For more doses of information and inspiration:
- follow on Instagram @knowberaisethem
- sign up for our monthly newsletter
- visit www.knowberaisethem.com